Many, many thanks to Kritika, who I miss online but understand is busy with her real life, for nominating me for this award. This is my second Blogger Recognition Award, and I don’t think I can improve upon what I’ve already written on these topics, so I hope you’ll bear with me if I repeat what is already said; my journey into blogging remains the same and my advice on blogging is limited as well.
- Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to. Do some digging if you must! Find those blogs. You cannot nominate yourself or the person who has nominated you.
- Write a post to show off your award! Give a brief story of how your blog got started, and give a piece or two of advice to new bloggers. Thank whoever nominated you, and provide a link to their blog. List who you’ve nominated in the post.
- Make sure to also attach the award itself! (You can do this by right-clicking, saving, and uploading the image above).
- Comment on each blog and let them know you’ve nominated them. Provide a link to the award post you created.
- Provide a link to the original post on Edge of Night. That way, anyone can find the original guidelines and post if needed, and we can keep it from mutating and becoming confusing!
How I got started blogging
I’ve talked about it in the “about” section. I started blogging when I turned atheist way back in 2009, as a means to find like-minded people to talk to. It didn’t work out too well, atheists are in general too self-involved and supercilious in their ways (you can see that in the way I use my two dollar vocabulary as well). I didn’t find many people and not a lot of views either. So I became a very casual blogger. I started being a little more regular last year when I started posting pics, but that too was a couple of posts a month. I have been blogging almost daily since about February. That was when I had a nervous breakdown. I’ve been a depressive for quite some time and things, well just got too much for me to handle. Anyway, that’s not a story for this place. I’ve been posting almost daily since apart from some broody sabbaticals. I’ve been more engaged and have found some wonderful people out here. Some reached out initially but then receded into the ether,a few stuck around and I am thankful for both kinds, though I hope the stickers find it a little worth their while!
Advice to new bloggers
I feel a little silly doling out advice on blogging, I’m not a blog-celeb or anything. But for what it’s worth, here it is
Be very clear what you want your blog to be about. Is it a personal diary of sorts? Or a celeb gossip deal? A fashion blog? Something on politics? Photography? A focussed effort or a potpourri of whatever strikes your fancy?
Be clear about the level of participation you want from people who might read your blog. Is it a one way street or a two-way communication? I know bloggers who tailor the level of participation for each individual post. There are those who don’t even have a like button. And there are those who measure the quality of their content by the number of comments they get.
Keep a tab in your browser open on a WordPress tag you are interested in. Something to do with your blog. That way, you’ll find out others with similar interest, you’ll interact with like-minded people and you’ll find out where the online trends are headed in your field.
Learn to take criticism. With a smile. And a steely eyed stare, if the situation demands.
And pick a topic you love, so you do keep blogging! 🙂
Or, just ignore all I said and go have fun! Post one post and disappear. Have a hundred blogs. Go nuts! It’s your life and you only get one of these!