A fellow blogger posted this about the recent brouhaha about an Indian film star’s comments on tolerance (rather the lack thereof) in India.
Here’s the post
I like playing Devil’s advocate, so let me ask some questions too. 😀
1. What exactly could the son of a super-rich father be scared of?
2. Are these incidents of violence (and I hate all religious violence) really so bad that people are thinking of leaving the country?
3. Isn’t the right to criticize also guaranteed?
4. Aren’t people allowed to boycott companies associated with a person/religious value/social ethos that they, the people, don’t support? Don’t LGBT advocates routinely boycott places/businesses with staunch conservative views?
5. How much physical violence has Aamir been threatened with? apart from people calling him names and I’m sure some wishing he died?
6. Why do we look at a slightly-better-than-average actor for an intelligent view? He wants to use his star power for social causes, good for him. Let him understand what the cause is before he shoots his mouth off (this is in reference to his shows and his previous public statements.), To think he is intelligent enough to have a nuanced view on socio-political issues is a disservice to the issues themselves.
I have read the entire interview (published in Indian Express today). I don’t think he was thinking when he said that. Maybe he got caught up in the flow of words. Maybe not. Maybe he really has thought of moving out, maybe it’s only his wife. Doesn’t matter. He has a valid view, he has the right to say it; so have others.
Remember the cardinal rule of freedom of speech and expression, “You do not have the right not to be offended!” Someone’s views will offend you, yours will offend someone. Some will get extremely childish, some crass and vulgar. That’s the bathwater you have to keep.
I am not a BJP supporter and definitely not a RSS supporter, They’re all crazy, as far as I can tell. But those who support them also have the right to a view and the right to express it.
And honestly, Aamir! Dude your kid has a small army protecting him, who would believe that your wife thinks her kid isn’t safe? Unless she’s gigantically stupid (which I honestly doubt). 😛
Ok, let loose the brickbats now! 😀